Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Family Vacations

As December approaches, I am starting to get more nervous and more excited. No, not because of Christmas. Christmas has sort of become unimportant to me since I've become an adult (and sort of poor). It is pretty much a day to spend time with my mother and boyfriend, eating a nice dinner and doing family things. 
No, on December sixth, my mother and I will be going to Orlando, Florida to Universal Studios and the Islands of Adventure. This will be the fourth time I've been, so you'd think I wouldn't be this excited. I have found, though, that I don't have much to look forward to these days since school ended and I've been stuck in a sort of dead end job, so vacationing with my mother is something that brings me joy. 
My biggest piece of advice to everyone is to spend time enjoying the company of family while you have the chance. I am 31 years old, and I am going to a theme park with my mother. While this might seem a bit immature, it is something fun that I can do with my mother and involves something I love (Harry Potter). Last year, one of my mother's childhood friends (the daughter of a family friend) got a terrible case of the flu. This lead to infections (including blood and brain infections) and her untimely death. This sudden, terrible death made us both realize that life is really short and, and any second could be our last. I don't have children, I'm not married, and I don't have a demanding job at the moment. This means that I have time to actually spend with my mother, while both of us are healthy and free to leave for a week. 
I'm not saying that everyone should go on vacation to a theme park. That is just what WE like to do. But I would advise everyone to step back and take a moment to appreciate what they have, spend time with their loved ones, and cherish the lives they have while they have them. You never know when there will be no more time at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment