Thursday, September 24, 2015

Struggling to write

Since graduation I admit that I have struggled to write. It's not like I have no ideas, or the words escape me. It seems like I have just gotten lazy. How can someone be too lazy to sit and write? Well, I think a part of it is that I get a little depressed thinking about how old I am (31) and how little I have actually accomplished in my life. I sit down to write, and I think, "Why bother, it's not like anyone will actually want to read this." Or, "I should try to publish some of these poems, but I'm just going to get a lot of rejection letters." 

I realize this is not a healthy way to be, especially when writing used to be my passion. I know that I need to change the attitude and find my motivation again. One thing I really need to do is read more. When I was in school I had a mandatory reading list that I had to follow, so I didn't do a lot of reading for myself. Yes, there were a few books that I shoved into my schedule because I couldn't NOT read them (Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Percy Jackson), but I haven't really sat down and started a new book or series since I started working on my final years of education. I need to sit down, turn off the television, and read a good (or even mediocre) book. I have a few books downloaded and ready in my Kindle, and I just bought three new poetry books. Hopefully, this will be the push I need to start the upward climb toward writing my own new fiction and poetry.

Now, a question for anyone that might happen by this post: What do you do to get motivated to write? What would you say is your writing strategy? Any advice for writing you have I would be grateful to have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment